Jump To


| This site is maintained by Jose Rizal University

Bookmark us:
Rizal Sailed for Cuba Via Spain
3 September 1896
Rizal was given a new cabin, No. 22, with a divan. The boat anchored near Manila to load passengers, among whom were Pedro Roxas, Maria Tuason And Pedro A. Paterno. He left Manila for Spain.

4 September 1896
Rizal was informed of the rumors that he was the cause of the disturbances in Manila. A young student, a native of Aragon, informed him that around 600 Filipinos were already ordered shot by the Spanish authorities.

5 September 1896
A Jesuit father told him about poor Anacleto del Rosario died of heart trouble. On board he saw a mentally deranged captain who was being shipped back to Spain.

7 September 1896
At 5:00 o’clock in the afternoon,they saw a lighthouse. At 8:00 p.m., they anchored alongside the wharf made of wood. They left Singapore at 1;00 o’clock in the afternoon.

9 September 1896
In the evening, Rizal was disappointed. There were plans of holding a concert but was not realized due to the rudeness of a passenger.

12 September 1896
He recovered slightly from hi sea-sickness, although the ship continued moving roughly.

13 September 1896
At 4:00 they started to see land and at 1:00 in the evening the Isla de Panay anchored at Colombo.

14 September 1896
At 12:00 o’clock, they left Colombo for Aden.

15 September 1896
They passed by Maldivas and Laquedivas in the evening. This time the weather had already improved a little bit.

19 September 1896
Rizal made mention of the death of a certain Capt. Cecilio on board the boat Isla de Panay. The captain became mentally derange due to the two months imprisonment imposed on him by Gen. Parrado. At 2o’clock Sunday morning, the dead body was thrown over board.

20 September 1896
The Isla de Panay arrived at Guardful at 12 o’clock. Rizal’s patient on board became worse for having eaten butter.

21 September 1896
The Isla de Panay arrived at Arden at 4:30 in the afternoon. Rizal noticed that the Englishmen in Aden had progressed much. There were already many buildings constructed.

In a letter, Rizal described to his mother the trip he had from Singapore to Colombo and from Colombo to Aden, the throwing overboard of the dead body of Capt. Cecilio, and the hopeless condition of a sick Jesuit.

22 September 1896
At 3 o’clock in the morning, the boat left Aden, passing near Perim which was fortified. Rizal’s patient moved to the upper deck.

24 September 1896
Rizal was called to attend to a sick woman on board. Rizal injected her with morphine and later applied hot bath.

25 September 1896
He dreamed that his Jesuit patient died. At 4:15 p.m. they met the Isla de Luzon full of soldiers bound for the Philippines. 

26 September 1896
Rizal received a very bad new, which, if true, would make him doubt everything. Then he wrote a letter to Prof. Blumentritt disclosing the contents of the two letters of recommendation issued him by Governor Blanco.

29 September 1896
Rizal was the object of malicious talk on this day. Some passengers were inventing fantastic stories against him. He was informed that San Roque, a district of Cavite City, was being bombarded.

30 September 1896
Rizal received an order from Capt. A. Alemany, to the effect that after taking dinner, Rizal should stay inside the cabin until another order is received. He asked the captain for the reason and the Captain answered that it was due to some rumors that Rizal would remain in Malta.

1 October 1896 
The boat left Malta at two o’clock in the morning. Rizal stayed the whole day in his cabin. A cabin boy was surprised by Rizal tiptoeing into his cabin o steal his papers, apparently under the instruction of the steward who was peeping through the hole of the cabin at the time.

3 October 1896
After exactly 30 days of travel, the Isla de Panay arrived at Barcelona. The passengers were placed under quarantine for three days.

4 October 1896
Rizal heard 31 canon fires which signaled the celebration of the feast of D. Francisco de Asis. The boat was still quarantined off the shore of Barcelona.

6 October 1896
At three o’clock in the morning a sergeant woke Rizal up in his cabin, ordering him to prepare his baggage. At four o’clock, Rizal was whisked away from the boat by one military man and another in civilian clothes.

Rizal arrived at Montjuich at exactly five o’clock, after one-hour walk under heavy guard.

At about two o’clock in the afternoon, after staying in Montjuich for about 8 hours, Rizal was notified by the same officer called Tudela to get his baggage ready in order to board the boat S.S. Colon. Rizal had to do everything in a jiffy under the threats and shouts of the captain. The boat packed with soldiers, departed at eight o’clock in the evening.

Your recently saved topics:


Random Quotation





Copyright 2004© Jose Rizal University

For inquiries, send e-mail to rizalweb@jru.edu